If you like sausage, you’re going to love this savory pasta. This dish is packed full of flavor–with two types of sausage, tons of fresh mushrooms, green and red peppers, onions, garlic, and beef broth, it’s a party in your mouth. I’ve been serving this dish for years and it always receives rave reviews. I found the original recipe in Better Homes and Gardens Magazine but I’ve changed it significantly over the years. Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make bow-tie pasta with sausage and sweet peppers:
- 1 lb. bow tie pasta
- 3/4 lb. spicy Italian sausage, casings removed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 lb. bulk sausage
- 1 medium red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 packages fresh mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 can beef broth
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Grated parmigiano reggiano cheese
- In a large saucepan cook the pasta according to package directions; drain. Return pasta to the saucepan.
- Meanwhile, remove the casings from the Italian sausage and cut it into bite-sized pieces. In a very large skillet (or wok) cook the Italian sausage, ground sausage, red and green peppers, onions, garlic, and mushrooms over medium-high heat until the sausage and mushrooms are browned. Drain well.
- Stir the beef broth and black pepper into the skillet, scraping the bottom of the pan to loosen the browned bits. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Pour over the pasta. Toss gently to coat. Top with freshly grated parmigiana reggiano cheese.