I promised I’d share my recipe for macaroni salad when I posted my Texas Hot Dog Sauce recipe last week. Homemade macaroni salad is so easy and quick to prepare–it’s ready in about 10 minutes–that there’s no excuse for serving grocery store or deli prepared macaroni salad. Store-bought salads don’t compare in quality, texture, or flavor to homemade macaroni salad and they’re always a disappointment. Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make macaroni salad:
- 1 16-oz. box elbow macaroni, cooked al dente (approximately 6-8 minutes)
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 1 large tomato, seeds removed and diced
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 cup mayonnaise (I use Duke’s mayonnaise–it tastes closest to homemade mayo)
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare macaroni according to package directions (cook it al dente–approximately 6-8 minutes), drain, rinse, and place it in a large mixing bowl.
- Add diced onions, tomatoes, and green peppers.
- Combine mayonnaise, vinegar, and sugar. Stir with a whisk until smooth. Pour sauce over the remaining ingredients. Stir until well combined.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.